Vids, Vidders, and Vidding is a growing cultural expression of fandom, music, and video. See an example above.
A vid is a short video that tells a narrative by combining the video from a Movie, TV show, or Web Series and a song for the audio track setting the tone and direction of the story. In other words it's a cross medium mashup.
Vidders are those artists / fans who cut together the vids whereas vidding is the act of producing a vid.
- Fans can express and play in the franchises that they love.
- It becomes a great promotional vehicle for both the music artist and the franchise.
- It enhances our cultural experience of both video content and music.
- There is much fear, uncertainty, and doubt surrounding the topic.
- Fear of reprisal from the copyright holders.
- Fear amongst copyright holders of loosing control over their content and loosing money.
What We Need
- Recognize the cultural value of vids.
- Get over our fears.
- Open a dialogue to come up with a compromise that will allow both parties to win.
If you would like to join in the conversation head over to Project: Shadow what is your definition of a vid? - Project: Shadow.